Wellington Town in Somerset
Wellington is a small town in southwest Somerset. It lies about 7 miles southwest of Taunton in Taunton Deane district, close to the border with Devon. Wellington and its suburbs currently have a population of about 14,000. Known as 'Weolingtun' in the Anglo-Saxon period, its name had changed to 'Walintone' by the time of the Domesday Book of 1086.
Wellington became a town under a royal charter of 1215 and during the medieval period it grew as a centre for trade on the road from Bristol to Exeter. Major rebuilding took place following a fire in the town in 1731, after which it became a centre for clothmaking. Wellington gave its name to the first Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, who is commemorated by the nearby Wellington Monument. It was erected to celebrate the Duke of Wellington's victory at the Battle of Waterloo. It is now owned by the National Trust.
The nearest source of local information is available from Wellington Tourist Information Centre.
Dining out near Wellington
The Anchor Inn, Taunton
Willow Tree Restaurant, Taunton
The Castle Hotel Restaurant, Taunton
Prezzo, Taunton, Taunton
The Rock Inn, Wiveliscombe
The Blue Ball Inn, Taunton
Clavelshay Barn, Bridgwater
Combe House Hotel, Bridgwater
Oriental Aroma, Chard