Dunster Town in Somerset
Dunster lies 2.5 miles southeast of Minehead on the fringes of Exmoor and is best known for its wide main street, castle and its 17th century Yarn Market. Currently in the stewardship of the National Trust, the market was 'A covered market for the sale of local broadcloth and homespuns. Built in 1609 by George Luttrell of Dunster Castle, and repaired in 1647. Dunster currently has a population of just under a thousand and is a must see destination if in the area. There has been some sort of settlement here since at least Iron Age times, the hill forts of Bat's Castle and Black Ball Camp on Gallox Hill (also known as British Camp) lie just to the southwest. There was a similar earthwork on Grabbist Hill. Dunster is mentioned not only as a manor belonging to William de Moyon in the Domesday Book in 1086 but also the site of his castle. On the evening of 1 May each year the Minehead Hobby Horse visits Dunster and is received at the Castle. Nearby is the Dunster Park and Heathlands SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) noted for nationally important lowland dry heath, dry lowland acid grassland, wood-pasture with veteran trees and ancient semi-natural oak woodland habitats. The fauna of the lowland heath includes the Heath fritillary (Mellicta athalia), a nationally rare butterfly. The assemblage of beetles associated with the veteran trees is of national significance.
The nearest source of local information is available from Dunster Tourist Information Centre.
Events near Dunster
Dining out near Dunster
Reeves Restaurant, Dunster
Royal Oak Inn, Luxborough, Exmoor
Combe House Hotel, Bridgwater
The Blue Ball Inn, Taunton
The Rock Inn, Wiveliscombe
The Anchor Inn, Taunton
Clavelshay Barn, Bridgwater
Willow Tree Restaurant, Taunton
The Castle Hotel Restaurant, Taunton