Clevedon Town in Somerset
The town of Clevedon is situated in northeast Somerset, some 15 miles west of Bristol. It has excellent transport links with the M5 motorway just over a mile away and accessed at Junction 20. Clevedon dates from at least the Iron Age, with archaeology found at Wain's Hill. The town was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Its name derives from the Old English 'Cleve-Don' meaning 'cleft in the hill'. The town did not really grow until the Victorian era when Clevedon became a popular seaside town. The coast here is a mixture of pebble beaches and low cliffs and Clevedon's original Victorian Pier dates from 1869. After years of neglect, the pier was dismantled and rebuilt in 1986 and is an important visitor attraction. The town currently has a population of about 22,000.
The nearest source of local information is available from Clevedon Tourist Information Point.