Axbridge Town in Somerset
Axbridge is a small town situated in the Sedgemoor district of East Somerset. It lies on the River Axe, close to of the Mendip Hills. There is archaeological evidence proving that there has been some sort of settlement here from Neolithic Times and the Romans are also recorded as mining lead from the Mendip Hills around here. The settlement grew in Saxon times when it was known as Axanbrcyg - Bridge over the River Axe and was used by King Alfred the Great as a defensive town against the Vikings. Axbridge was granted a Royal Charter in 1202, when King John sold most of the royal manor of Cheddar to the Bishop of Bath and Wells. Axbridge grew in prominence in the Tudor period as a centre for cloth manufacture and was quite an important market town. Currently the town of Axbridge has a population of just over 2,000.
The nearest source of local information is available from Somerset Visitor Centre.