South Cadbury village, Somerset
South Cadbury is a village and civil parish in South Somerset district. The parish includes the village of Sutton Montis.
It is famous as the location of the hill fort of Cadbury Castle, thought by some to be King Arthur's Camelot.
The name Cadbury means 'Cada's fort' and refers to Cadbury Castle, which is immediately to the south west of the village. It is a vast Iron Age hill fort covering an area of around 20 acres. The site has seen human occupation from Neolithic times until the late Saxon period. It was famously partially excavated by Leslie Alcock in the 1960s, when, amongst other things, an Arthurian period feasting hall was discovered. Since John Leland made reference to local traditions of a connection with King Arthur in the 16th century, there has been widespread speculation that this was the location of Camelot. King Arthur's Well sits at the foot of the hill and the local public house, the Red Lion, was renamed The Camelot when it was remodelled in 2004. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the manor is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf. The parish was part of the hundred of Catsash.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: