Shepton Beauchamp village, Somerset
Shepton Beauchamp is a village and civil parish, 1 mile (2 km) from Barrington and 4 miles (6 km) north east of Ilminster between the Blackdown Hills and the Somerset Levels in South Somerset district.
The first part of the name of the village has Saxon origins meaning sheep settlement. The second part was added to honour the Beauchamp family (pronounced ‘Beecham’), who held the manor from the mid 12th century. The parish of Shepton Beauchamp was part of the South Petherton Hundred. It passed to the Seymours in 1361, and Sir John Seymour lived here when High Sheriff of Somerset 1515–16, possibly with his young daughter Jane Seymour, later third Queen of Henry VIII. In 1755 about half the land was in unenclosed strips, but enclosure by private agreement began in 1807 and was largely complete by 1850. In 1791 the parish was described as having 85 houses and "lying in a rich, flat and inclosed country". The first census in 1801 recorded the population as 439, and the area of the parish was 836 acres.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: