Norton-sub-Hamdon village, Somerset
Norton sub Hamdon is a village in the South Somerset district, situated five miles west of Yeovil. The village had a population of 694 in 2002.
The village of Chiselborough is half a mile to the south, and the village of Stoke-sub-Hamdon 1 mile to the north.
The majority of the houses and cottages in the village are made from the local stone, hamstone, which is taken from the nearby Ham Hill, from whence the village gets its name. In fact, Norton Sub Hamdon means "north below the hill farm". After the Norman Conquest the manor was granted to Robert, Count of Mortain, who gave it to the church of Grestein Abbey in Normandy which administered it through Wilmington Priory in Sussex until it was confiscated by the crown in the 14th century. It was then given to the De la Pole family and inherited with the dukedom of Suffolk to the Seymours and in 1671 to the Earl of Aylesbury before being broken up and sold off. The parish was part of the hundred of Houndsborough.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: