East Chinnock village, Somerset
East Chinnock is a village and civil parish situated on the A30 road 4 miles southwest of Yeovil in the South Somerset district. The parish had a population of 546 in 2002.
The origin of the name Chinnock is uncertain. It may be derived from the Old English 'cinu' meaning ravine or 'cinn' meaning a chin shaped hill, with the addition of ock meaning little. An alternative derivation may be an old hill-name of Celtic origin.
The Chinnocks were held as one estate in Saxon times by Wynflaed under Shaftesbury Abbey but by the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066 East Chinnock was a separate estate. It was granted to Robert, Count of Mortain and his son William gave it to Montacute Priory who held it until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, when it was bought by the Portmans of Orchard Portman.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: