East Brent village, Somerset
East Brent is a village and civil parish, located on the eastern edge of a hill that dominates the surrounding level countryside — Brent Knoll. Close to the M5 motorway, 5 miles west of Axbridge, in the Sedgemoor district of Somerset. The parish includes the hamlets of Rooks Bridge, where the A38 road crosses the Mark Yeo and Edingworth.
The manor formed part of the great Saxon estate of Brent given by King Ine of the West Saxons to Glastonbury Abbey in 693 and held by the monks of the abbey until the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. It was then granted to the Duke of Somerset and subsequently passed to the Whitmores and then the Pophams. East Brent was part of the hundred of Brent-cum-Wrington. Abbot John Selwood built a mansion in the village in the 15th century, which was demolished in 1708.
In 1851 George Anthony Denison was preferred to the valuable living of East Brent, and in the same year was made Archdeacon of Taunton. He was responsible for establishing the annual Harvest Home festival in the village.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: