Batcombe village, Somerset
Batcombe is a small village and civil parish in the Mendip District of Somerset. It lies in the steep valley of the River Alham about five miles south-east of Shepton Mallet. The parish had a population of 379 in the 2001 Census. Batcombe village is at the heart of the parish, which also includes the hamlets of Westcombe, Spargrove and Eastcombe (historically Ashcombe).
The name Batcombe comes from Saxon and means Bat\'s Valley.
Around 1 mile from the hamlet of Westcombe is a hill fort on Smalldown Knoll which dates back to the Iron Age and possibly the Bronze Age.
Batcombe is thought to have been established around the year 660 CE following the Saxon invasion of Great Britain. Both settlements are recorded in the Domesday Book written after the Norman invasion of England in 1066. The parish of Batcombe was part of the Whitstone Hundred.
The Mendip district was, for several centuries, highly dependent on the wool industry, with which these villages were linked.
Westcombe was for many years property of Glastonbury Abbey which was destroyed with the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The hamlet and area as a whole had strong links with the English woolen industry, which gave name to settlements such as Milton Clevedon.
For a long time the Bisse family owned much property in Batcombe, as well as other local villages, including Spargrove.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: