West Somerset Rural Life Museum
Tel. 01643 862 529
Postcode TA24 8HN
The Museum and Victorian School Room are housed in the old school at Allerford, leased to us by the National Trust. The school, built in 1821, was in use to 1981 and then, in 1984, it was reopened as the Rural Life museum, which is owned and administered by a committee of Trustees. The Trust is a Registered Charity which is completely self-supporting, and all the members of staff are volunteers.
The pretty village of Allerford lies off the A39 five miles from Minehead and one mile from Porlock and has interesting old cottages and a famous Packhorse Bridge. It is recorded in the Domesday Book in 1085 and is well worth a visit in its own right.